This page gives an overview of how the B1MG project, the 1+MG Initiative, the European Commission and stakeholders work together. It explains the support the B1MG project gives to the 1+MG Initiative.
The role of 1+MG
The 1+ Million Genomes Initiative (1+MG) is a commitment of 23 European countries to give cross-border access to one million sequenced genomes by 2022.
- 1+MG will drive the development of a European infrastructure for federated and secure cross-border access to genomic and personalised medicine data. It will set up the collaboration of signatory countries to:
- Ensure that appropriate technical infrastructure is available all over the EU. This infrastructure will allow secure, federated access to genomic data. The access will be based on common standards and support applicable regulations.
- Ensure that ethical and legal issues concerning genomics data are fully addressed by the technical infrastructure. These issues include the protection of personal data, security of stored data, ethical use of data, and clear data ownership rules.
- Ensure that the general public and policy makers in Member States and signatory countries are informed about genomics and genomics-based health. This will ensure its uptake by healthcare systems and integration into personalised healthcare and prevention.
- 1+MG is responsible for the relationships with signatory countries and the European Commission (EC), alignment among National Mirror Groups (NMGs) and the 10x 1+MG Working Groups. This includes their activities and long term strategy.
- 1+MG Signatory countries will be represented on the B1MG Governing Board (see How the project is organised).
The role of the B1MG project
The B1MG project primary role is to support the implementation of the 1+MG initiative by delivering the B1MG Description of Action (DoA) (project work plan). Amendments to the DoA will be sought to ensure the DoA remains aligned with 1+MG Roadmap. The B1MG Work Package structure ensures that 1+MG Working Groups, Stakeholders and National Mirror Group needs are taken into consideration via the participation in the WPs while implementing the DoA.
The B1MG will co-locate meetings with the 1+MG Coordination Team to align 1+MG and B1MG activities at the strategic and operational levels.
As B1MG project is a Coordination and Support Action (CSA) project there will be no (or limited) Research and Innovation (RIA) driven activity. It is a time limited project (June 2020 to May 2023).
B1MG outputs and participation from 1+MG Working Groups (WGs)
|Stakeholders Coordination Group (WP1)
||WG1, WG7, WG8, WG9, WG10 +NMG + Stakeholders
|Minimum recommendation on ELSI and data protection (WP2)
|Use cases on agenda basis
||WG8, WG9, WG10
|Minimum standards on data quality and analysis plus data challenges (WP3)
|Minimum common standards to implement the federated infrastructure (WP4)
|Inventory of synthetic data and consented data available (WP4)
|Maturity model to guide the implementation (WP5)
|Use cases on agenda basis
||WG8, WG9, WG10
|Economic models (WP5)
|National mirror groups maturity model to guide their implementation (WP6)
|Sustainability recommendations (WP6)
The B1MG project will:
Support the 1+MG Coordination Team
- Maintain the rolling agenda, take minutes and follow-up actions.
- Chair 1+MG Coordination Team weekly meetings, including monthly meetings with 1+MG and WP Leaders.
Note: physical meetings held regularly by the 1+MG WGs cannot otherwise be supported by B1MG. Participation of WG representatives in the individual WP meetings is encouraged based on the agenda topics.
Support the 1+MG WGs via B1MG activities
This will foster 1+MG WG, Stakeholders and NMG participation in B1MG WPs within the project limitations (Scope and Resources). B1MG will provide different levels of support to 1+MG WG, NMG Coordinator and Stakeholders within the project limited budget.
At the WP Level
- Each WP is encouraged to bring additional WG members into the discussion (particularly from use cases WG: 8,9,10) to contribute to the deliverables that will be produced. To that end, WP Lead beneficiary Institutions have been allocated budget to self-organise events (WP meetings, workshops) and reimburse WG members’ travel costs ( within the limits set on the GA), where not funded directly by B1MG.
At the coordination level
- The coordinator has also funds set aside to reimburse travel costs of WG members, not funded in B1MG, to attend main project events.
Note: Maximum travel cost reimbursement amounts for WG members not funded in B1MG: €375 (1 day event), €550 (2 days event) and €750 (3 days event).
Support the National Mirror Groups (NMGs)
The B1MG project will do this via the development of NMG Guidance in WP6 (ISCIII, ELIXIR).
Stakeholder Coordination Group
This will be coordinated via B1MG WP1 (EAPM, DTL-Projects, EATRIS).
The role of the European Commission (EC)
Note: This involves the EC's Directorate-General for Communications Networks, Content and Technology (DG-Connect), Directorate-General for Research and Innovation (DG-RTD) and Directorate-General for Health and Food Safety (DG-SANTE).
The 1+MG is a strategically important initiative for the EC to shape Europe’s healthcare and digital future. The EC is the custodian of the 1+MG Declaration, co-drafting, promoting, facilitating implementation and supporting efforts to get new countries to sign.
The EC will link 1+MG with other initiatives implementing the relevant EU priorities (digital agenda, data spaces, AI, cancer beating plan), with ongoing H2020 projects and with future funding opportunities.
The Role of the EC team in 1+MG
- Facilitation of communication with Member State representatives in the framework of the regular 1+MG Signatory meetings.
- Advise and facilitate actions of the 1+MG coordination group.
- Provide facilities for physical Signatory and Working Group meetings when they are held in Brussels.
- Run surveys and written consultations of 1+MG signatory states on behalf of the 1+MG coordination group.
- Facilitate interaction with external stakeholders.
- Chairing of Signatory meetings and providing Secretariat for them, until a final governance of the 1+MG initiative has been developed and implemented. Preparation for these meetings is in conjunction with the 1+MG coordination group, part of WG1.
The Role of the EC team in B1MG
- The EC is the funding authority for the B1MG project that has a contractual relationship with the B1MG consortium.
- It monitors the progress and spending in the project. The EC Project Officer follows the project closely, organises periodic project reviews and ultimately approves its deliverables and outcomes (supported by the assessment by independent experts).
The role of stakeholders
- Key stakeholders will engage in B1MG WPs (that are aligned with 1+MG)
- The Stakeholder Coordination Group (WP1) evaluate and validate project outputs before seeking B1MG Governing Board approval.
- Advisory role in B1MG/1+MG governance.
- Ensure alignment with ongoing initiatives and projects.
- Patient and citizen associations
- Genetics and healthcare professionals
- Healthcare care system representatives
Find out more